Sunday, May 2, 2010

Welcome to Performance Hunter

Well, if you’re reading this I managed to put something together correctly. Welcome to Performance Hunter, the blog about the little things that make hunting more productive. I have spent the majority of my life trying to evade work and school to spend as much time in the woods as I can. I grew up in and around the hunting industry, from the retail side of gear; guns, bows, backpacking gear and optics; the guide side of it, both from my own limited experience and that of the majority of my friends and a little bit of time on the publication side of things as well. From my own experiences and those that have been related to me, I feel like I have a unique perspective and a cool catalog of gear and techniques that consistently produce results for me and the guys I run around with.
You will find me consistently writing about glassing, stalking, shooting rifles and bows, backcountry hunting and the gear that corresponds with it, all around hunting gear, and I’ll likely dabble into ethics just to keep myself on my toes. That said, if there is something you see here that you are curious about, want me to expand on, or even if you want to call bullshit, let me know!
At the current time, I have jumped headfirst into the backcountry hunting scene. It’s something I was first introduced to over ten years ago, but feel like I have come into my own over the last two or three seasons. Living in Northern Arizona, I have a ton of ground close at hand to hunt, but the state is speckled with small wilderness areas that are just big enough to get away from the competition. Nothing compares to starting off with a map in the dining room late at night and expanding that into a hunting trip/adventure. Some places pay off big time, others make for challenging, cactus laden, overweight hikes, either way, the results are challenging and the memories first class.
I intend to expand upon the gear and mentality that I currently use, and why they work for me, as well as some of the other new gadgets that are hitting the market that have my interest piqued. Nothing compares to hunting solo, in the wilderness, the country is big, the game is relatively unpressured; the time itself tends to stand still, unless of course I’m on a two day forced march to get to or from where I want to hunt. The adventure factor and pitting myself against mother nature adds a whole new dynamic to the experience and has significantly raised my bar as a hunter.

No comments: