Sunday, October 9, 2011

Water Treatment for Backcountry Hunting

The life support category isn’t complete without addressing the water situation. For some, drinking water is an all day everyday thing, then there are guys like me. I rarely drink anything unless I make a conscientious effort to do so. For me, having things that are appetizing to drink helps me to stay hydrated. But where does the water come from? There are several schools of thought, some ultra-lighters, even some Special Forces guys use bleach or other chemical treatments, others iodine, and still more use filters. If you elect to go with drops, alum – it’s in the bakery isle – helps to settle sediment if you take along a folding bucket (sea to summit makes several good, light options). This trick is also important for those using Steripens, as the sediment can hinder the effectiveness of the UV light to neutralize the unwanted goodies found in the water. Just pay close attention to the method you will be using, read up on how to use it and maintain it.

With that said, there are several options beyond drops and iodine tablets that make water safe to drink. Katadyn and MSR make great filters for backcountry use, but my favorite at this time is MSR’s hyperflow, weighing at just over 7 ounces, it is the lightest unit to ever hit the market, and it flows more water than any other backcountry pump I have been able to find. The reason I prefer filters to drops, tablets, or UV units is time – I know when the water comes out of the unit it is ok to drink, Steripens are the next step, and work very quickly but only neutralize a limited amount of water per treatment, which is actually really quick. I am not going to list a time frame for the use of bleach, because everything I have read about it shows different times and I do get nervous about water treatment. I know a good number of people using it to treat really bad third world water, but personally have no interest. The last two options are Aquamira and iodine, Aqua Mira seems to work faster and have less residual taste. This option works well and is simple to use, it is popular enough now that some stores still regularly sell out of it, so planning ahead is a good idea. Iodine can be found almost any-where, and has a good track record of slowly making water safe to drink and adding a nice greenish yellow color to boot. This option makes a lot of first timers squeamish, as one cannot tell if the water retrieved were green or not, and it has a little after taste that some cannot stand. The only real draw back I find with iodine is that it takes a long time to make water drinkable, a slow torture when all you need is one little sip to un-bond your tongue from the roof of your mouth. Three seasons ago I dropped a part from my old reliable ceramic filter, if I hadn’t brought the lightweight back up offered by Aqua Mira or Iodine, the trip may have been a real wreck.

It doesn’t matter how the water gets treated, so long as it does. The effects that result from Giardiasis or Cryptosporidium can stick with the poor bastard that drank unfiltered water for a long time, and there is nothing desirable about them.

Once the water is drinkable, I tend to add some things to it to keep me entertained. The wilderness athlete supplements mentioned under the Nutrition for Backcountry Hunting category from yesterday see the majority of work in the daytime, with green tea in the mornings and evenings. The warm beverages help to start the days off right and are a nice wind down at the end of the day. I try to avoid coffee, being a diuretic and appetite suppressant doesn’t go well with the caloric requirements addressed previously. If you have to drink it, try Starbucks Via if you take it black or VinaCafe if you add cream or sugar, both are convenient and good.

No comments: